After a brief hiatus for the holidays, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite has resumed its busy schedule of Brilliant Events!
The first Brilliant Event of 2020 is another two-week event, the Darkest of Times. These will center around everyone’s favorite Hogwarts headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.
Darkest of Times: Week One will be January 21st to January 28th, beginning and ending at 2pm ET.
Darkest of Times: Week Two will be February 4th to February 11th, beginning and ending at 2pm ET.
This guide will focus on the first week of Darkest of Times. Stay tuned for an extensive guide covering the second week!
Guide to Week 1 of Darkest of Times Brilliant Event!
Discover all the tasks and the rewards in the first week of the Darkest of Times Brilliant Event. I’ve also shared some handy tips and tricks to complete the Brilliant Event with time to spare!
Once again, this Brilliant Event will have a Bonus Assignment during both weeks in case you’re ambitious and finish the regular tasks early!
Brilliant Event Overview
|Event Name Darkest of Times Brilliant Event (Week 1)|
|Date + Time
Brilliant Event Tasks
As usual, these tasks all come straight from Fazes, so they should be accurate, unless the HPWU developers make last-minute changes (again). If anything changes, I will update this article ASAP!
Like all Brilliant Events so far, the quest line is split into four sections. You have to complete each section before progressing to the next one. Once you finish the regular quests, you can move onto the Bonus Assignment.
Brilliant Portkeys will ONLY have Wizarding XP rewards! Pop on a Baruffio’s Brain Elixir (which will last an hour) and level up quickly!
Brilliant Portkeys will also go to a new location, Dumbledore’s office.
If you prefer watching a video, I’ve also covered all of this information on my YouTube channel in a livestream!
Darkest of Times Quest 1/4
The first set of tasks are almost laughably easy. You can knock these out in less than 10 minutes.
|Cast 5 Good Casts||1 Restricted Section Book|
|Return 10 Foundables||25 Brilliant Family XP|
|Use 2 Potions||25 Brilliant Family XP|
1st Quest Rewards
- 300 Wizarding XP
- 2 Restricted Section Books
- 1 Young Dumbledore Hat for Portrait
- 3 Baneberry Ingredients
- 3 Hermit Crab Shell Ingredients
Darkest of Times Quest 2/4
Again, fairly easy tasks, assuming Brilliant Traces are as common as they have been in the past. If you’re having trouble finding 5 Brilliant Fawkes Foundables, use a Tonic for Trace Detection Potion, or put a Dark Detector on an Inn.
Arresto Momentum can be against the same Foundable. If you just want to get this done quickly, you can slowly do your spell cast, increasing your odds of resistance, so you can cast the spell 3 times on the same Foundable.
|Return Brilliant Fawkes 5 Times||500 Wizarding XP|
|Successfully Cast Arresto Momentum 3 Times||20 Brilliant Family XP|
|Brew 3 Potions||15 Brilliant Family XP|
2nd Quest Rewards
- 25 Brilliant Family XP
- 2 Restricted Section Books
- 1 Ornate Frame – Phoenix for Portrait
- 1 Glass Jug of Pumpkin Juice Brilliant Registry Image
- 4 Snowdrop Ingredients
- 2 Silver Keys
Darkest of Times Quest 3/4
While these tasks aren’t difficult, the Portkeys will slow you down! If you held onto any 1km Portkeys from December’s Community Day, now is a good time to use them. Another option is to walk 5 Portkey Portmanteaus in advance (not all the way, just almost there), and wait until you get to these tasks to unlock them.
|Return Brilliant Dumbledore 5 Times||500 Wizarding XP|
|Cast 3 Great Casts||500 Wizarding XP|
|Unlock 5 Portkey Portmanteaus||15 Brilliant Family XP|
3rd Quest Rewards
- 25 Brilliant Family XP
- 5 Restricted Section Books
- 1 Dumbledore’s Glove Animated Sticker for Portrait
- 1 Phoenix/Fawkes Animated Sticker for Portrait
- 1 Dark Detector
Darkest of Times Quest 4/4
These tasks aren’t too challenging. However, there is a question about “Collect 20 Fragments.” When the HPWU team play-tested this, they only checked to see if Fragments from Encounters counted. It’s possible that Fragments from Wizarding Challenges or Portkeys will also count, but the HPWU developers didn’t test for that.
|Use 3 Dark Detectors||25 Brilliant Family XP|
|Return 7 High-Threat (or Higher) Foundables||3 Spell Books|
|Collect 20 Fragments||25 Brilliant Family XP|
4th Quest Rewards
- 50 Gold
- 5 Restricted Section Books
- 1 Post Owl Brilliant Registry Image
- 1 Licorice Snaps Animated Sticker for Portrait
- 750 Wizarding XP
Darkest of Times Week 1 BONUS Assignment!
If you complete the regular Brilliant Event quests before the Brilliant Event ends, you also have the chance to complete the Bonus Assignment. This is an incredible opportunity to earn 4 Spell Books!
The challenge will be unlocking 10 Portkeys. Luckily, the first reward is 3 Silver Keys, which should help you work on your Portkeys. However, you might need to buy some more Silver Keys (which is somewhat evident based on the special event bundles).
|Return 15 High-Threat (or Higher) Foundables||3 Silver Keys|
|Unlock 10 Portkey Portmanteaus||2 Strong Exstimulo Potions|
|Return Brilliant Dumbledore 30 Times||1 Young Dumbledore Coat for Portrait|
- 2000 Wizarding XP
- 100 Brilliant Family XP
- 4 Spell Books
- 1 Epilogue (Ministry ID) Title: Paragon of Paramountcy
Brilliant Foundables and Where to Find Them
Just like previous Brilliant Events, you will only be able to encounter some of these Brilliant Foundables in the wild. The others can be found through Fortress Challenges, special 3k Portkeys, and event tasks.
|Brilliant||Where to find it||Fragments to collect|
|Brilliant Fawkes||Wild Encounter||15|
|Brilliant Dumbledore||Wild Encounter||15|
|Brilliant Post Owl||Event Tasks||1|
|Brilliant Glass Jug of Pumpkin Juice||Event Tasks||1|
|Brilliant Professor Trewlaney||Brilliant Portkey Portmanteaus||5|
|Brilliant Professor Burbage||Wizarding Challenges (need a Brilliant Runestone)||3|
Tips to Complete the Brilliant Event
If this is your first Brilliant Event, or if you’re thrown off by the different tasks, these tips will help you complete the Brilliant Event before the time runs out. With careful planning (and a lot of walking!), you can complete the Bonus Assignment as well!
- As a reminder, Part 1 Portkeys will give you Part 1 Rewards anytime you open them, even if you wait to open them during Part 2. Brilliant Portkeys will glow purple on the Map. These will ONLY give out Wizarding XP as rewards (no Ingredients), so open them when using a Brain Elixir.
- To brew Potions quickly, you can brew them in advance. Wait until you’re on the second quest to collect the Potions to get credit.
- If you’ve having trouble finding Brilliant Traces, avoid flagged areas. They are less likely to spawn in those areas.
- To collect Brilliant Professor Burbage, you need to do Wizarding Challenges (Fortress battles) with a Brilliant Runestone. Try Tower I and Tower II Chambers to collect these Fragments.
- If you need to complete the event quickly, or you only have a short time to work on it, try playing at a sponsored Simon Mall. Inns, Fortresses, and spawns are all plentiful.
- When completing the 4th quest, try to play with your local community. A Dark Detector grind session is a great way for everyone to benefit from each player using 3 Dark Detectors.
- Save your Silver Keys for the Bonus Assignment so you can unlock all 10 Portkeys efficiently.
- Save your Scrolls and your Restricted Section Books until the end of the event. Then use our guide to spend them wisely! That said, many Aurors and Magizoologists have already earned all the necessary Restricted Section Books, and some Professors are getting close.
Darkest of Times Bundles
Players will receive a free store pack to help them complete the Brilliant Event. You also have the option of purchasing one or more of the special store packs. Shoutout to Orange Wizard for the graphic!
Two of the store packs focus on Silver Keys which will help you with the many Portkeys. Are these bundles good deals?
4 Silver Keys cost 325 Gold. At that price, a 5th Silver Key is about 81 Gold, making the value of 5 Silver Keys 406 Gold.
Thus, if you only care about the Silver Keys, this bundle is not a good deal. However, if you value Spell Energy (200 Gold for 100 Spell Energy), this bundle saves you about 156 Gold.
6 Dark Detectors costs 750 Gold. If it’s worth it to you to spend an additional 300 Gold for 10 Potent Exstimulo Potions, this bundle could be a good deal. If we price Potents at 71 Gold each (Unicorn Hair cost + collecting immediately in the Cauldron), then this bundle is worth 1460 Gold. You then save 410 Gold.
10 Silver Keys is worth 816 Gold.
9 Dark Detectors cost 975 Gold. At that price, a 10th Dark Detector is about 108 Gold, making the overall value about 1083 Gold.
If you only care about Silver Keys and Dark Detectors, the Bonus Assignment bundle is not a good deal. However, if you value the Potent Potions and the Spell Energy, you save 968 Gold. (10 Potents are valued at 710 Gold. 150 Spell Energy costs 300 Gold).
Also, I would appreciate if someone would check my math!
Are you excited for the upcoming Brilliant Event? What do you think of the Bonus Assignment? Leave a comment below!
An extensive guide on the second week of Darkest of Times Brilliant Event is coming soon.
P.S. Need a new external battery pack to get you through another week of playing Wizards Unite? I’ve written a guide of top-rated power banks over on my own blog!