For many years now, Harry Potter fans have delighted in celebrating the Back to Hogwarts journey by gathering at London’s Kings Cross Station on September 1st. At 11am, these witches and wizards collectively raise their wands to commemorate the departure of the Hogwarts Express from Platform 9 3/4.
This year, things will look a little different, with a magical program of virtual activities leading up to September 1, 2020, culminating in an epic Back to Hogwarts celebration. This will allow even more fans to participate while remaining safely at home.
I’m definitely excited to hear about these changes and the opportunity to attend the event myself from home. I also appreciate the social commitment from Wizarding World in light of the ongoing pandemic.
This will be the first-ever virtual celebration of the annual spectacle, as WizardingWorld.com hosts an online event to commemorate the departure of the Hogwarts Express. The special livestream will have plenty of surprises, so keep reading for a sneak peek!
Back to Hogwarts Countdown
The Back to Hogwarts content goes live starting August 29th on Wizarding World. There’s quite a bit to highlight!
- Insights from some of the creative masterminds responsible for bringing the magic to life on screen, including genius wand choreographer Paul Harris demonstrating Wand Combat tricks, and dynamic design duo MinaLima, who created the brand-new virtual Back to Hogwarts 2020 celebration artwork, which is available as a limited-edition art print.
- Being transported from the muggle-world into the magical one by listening to the Journeys to Hogwarts Soundscape, a Harry Potter immersive audio experience featuring all the sounds you’d hear on that iconic journey. Simply close your eyes and let your imagination roam!
- A CineConcerts performance featuring orchestras from around the world playing memorable musical selections from each of the eight Harry Potter films at home
- The last chance to catch the complete set of celebrity readings of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (accessible exclusively for registered members of the Harry Potter Fan Club for just a few more weeks).
- Plus, a host of Hogwarts themed inspiring craft ideas and creative tutorials for all ages:
- baking your own Shepherd’s Pie, Leaky Cauldron style
- building your own Hogwarts castle with papercraft
- testing your knowledge in the Hogwarts quiz
- Tune into USA and SYFY networks to catch all eight movies over the weekend in a Back to Hogwarts movie marathon.
Personal thoughts on these events
So we get a sneak peek and a bit more of the original content that managed to wow us in theatres. The wand combat tricks, as well as the new celebration artwork, could be a delight to our eyes.
What excites me the most is the sumptuous auditory feast in the form of the Journey to Hogwarts Soundscape. This could be the iconic recreation of a Hogwarts journey that most of us really wanted to experience! I’m looking forward to the sounds through the journey including the iconic ones of the Hogwarts Express.
During the course of the books and movies, we were introduced to what happens in a typical journey inside the Hogwarts Express, but this is our chance to experience a bit more of what the journey has to offer in the sound department. The icing on the cake would be the spectacular hand-picked list of songs from the movies.
If you love audiobooks, the celebrity reading of the Philosophers stone, as part of the Harry Potter at Home initiative, could be just the thing for you. It’s the last chance to catch the complete set, using your Harry potter Fan Club memberships.
If you are having a bit of free time, and are in the US, then you can definitely join the USA and SYFY networks to binge all eight movies.
Back to Hogwarts Digital Event
On Tuesday, September 1st, we have the first-ever Back to Hogwarts Livestream! It is the highlight of the four-day event. Here is what we can expect.
- More people than ever will be able to join the very first virtual Back to Hogwarts Livestream and experience the excitement of a fan celebration at Kings Cross, (including the countdown) without leaving the house! The livestream will feature plenty of surprises and fun, including appearances from special guests, including James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy).
- There will be trivia games for fans to join in with, and even an appearance from the cast of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child before the fan countdown kicks off.
- Fans can get even closer to the magic by submitting a snap of themselves to join the ‘Back to Hogwarts – Class of 2020’. Their photos will be added to a digital mosaic, which will grow throughout the day to bring the community to life. This is a chance for fans across the globe to show off their best cosplay, call out their House Pride or simply celebrate their fandom! Harry Potter Fan Club members will also receive a memento of the day too, as the mosaic will be available to them exclusively as a digital download to keep.
We get a great deal of fun stuff from the livestream, and who better for fun than the Weasley twins? A host of games and other delightful activities to top it all off. A virtual cosplay as part of the class of 2020, get a snap of it and be part of a digital mosaic!
If you aren’t already a member of the Harry Potter Fan Club, join the free club right away, and trust me, you don’t want to miss out on the fun goodies coming your way during this event. Do check out the Back to Hogwarts Hub on WizardingWorld.com, where you can join the Harry Potter Fan Club, and let the sorting hat decide the best house for you!
Are you excited for the virtual Back to Hogwarts event? How will you participate?
Stay connected with me and the rest of the WizHub team here in the comments or on our social media platforms.