Are you looking for a beginner’s guide to Harry Potter: Wizards Unite? You’ve come to the right place.The Wizarding World is at risk of exposure. The Ministry of Magic and the International Confederation of Wizards need YOUR help!
From potions and spells, to energy and Portkeys, discover everything you need to know about playing Wizards Unite for the first time.
Prefer video? Skip to the bottom!
Getting Started with Wizards Unite
When you’re starting up Wizards Unite for the first time, you’ll have to sign in with either Google or Facebook, and then agree to their terms & conditions. After that, you’ll enter your first and last name. (This can be changed any time as many times as you would like). Then you’ll finally be able to pick your code name! (This, you are not able to change as of yet).
After you pick your code name, you’ll then begin your tutorial on how to return a foundable back to where it belongs in the Wizarding World. As you return each foundable, you’ll be able to see your progress by first clicking on your registry and then adding the foundable’s image by clicking the flashing blue icon that appears. Hagrid is the foundable for the tutorial.
After finishing the tutorial, you can set up your Ministry ID by clicking on the wizard silhouette at the bottom left of your screen. From there, you can change your first and last name, title, Hogwarts house, and wizarding achievements. You can also select your wand type there from Ollivanders as well!
Once you hit level 6, you can choose your Profession. This is the first choice that really affects the game.
Wizards Unite Professions
You can choose from three professions in Wizards Unite. Will you choose the combat veteran, Auror? This Profession is lead by Harry Potter himself! Will you choose the team healer and support, Magizoologist? This Profession is lead by Rubeus Hagrid himself. Or, will you choose the highly adept spell casters known as the Professor? This Profession is lead by Professor Minerva McGonagall herself.
Each set of Professions has their own Skill Tree in which you can add skills with scrolls. Read more about Professions on our Wiki page!
- Aurors are combat veterans who cast debilitating spells designed to defeat the Dark Forces. Aurors are straight up DPS, but they lack damage output at the moment due to Dancing with Dummies being bugged.
- Magizoologists are tank / healer hybrids who focus on helping their teammates and sustaining damage. They also specialize in taking down Beasts.
- Professors are strong spell-casters who can use debilitating spells to take down enemies, as well as support their teammates. Professors are most effective against taking down Curiosities. Great damage output.
Potions & Ingredients in Wizards Unite
While playing Wizards Unite, you will find potions and ingredients to help you progress through the game.
When brewing potions, you can decrease the waiting time for each potion by 15% if you correctly guess the Master Notes. Note that Master Notes can be found HERE if you click on the potion that you want to brew. You can also find the ingredients needed to brew it. As of writing, there are currently 15 potions in game.
Take note of these potions. Baruffio’s Brain Elixir unlocks at level 4, and it will boost your XP for 30 minutes as you complete Traces and Portkeys. If you want to brew one, it takes 12 hours. However, if you follow the Master Notes, you can take 15% off of its brewing time. By following the Master Notes for each potion you brew, you’ll always take 15% off of the brewing time.
There are currently 57 different ingredients in the game at the time of writing. You can find ingredients in Wizards Unite by walking around your mini map and tapping on the ingredients to collect them. Of course, some ingredients will be much harder to find than others. Find the complete list of Ingredients.
Spells in Wizards Unite
In order to return a Foundable to where they belong, you’ll need to accurately trace a random Glyph. The Glyph you get depends on the spell you have to use. A list of Spells, and the Glyphs you’ll be tracing can be found here! There are currently 14 spells in the game. Keep checking back as more may be added over time! Each spell is used for different Foundables.
Fortress & Runestones in Wizards Unite
There are currently 10 different types of Runestones. These Runestones are based on your Registry categories. These categories are:
- Care of Magical Creatures
- Dark Arts
- Hogwarts School
- Legends of Hogwarts
- Ministry of Magic
- Magical Games and Sports
- Mysterious Artifacts
- Wonders of the Wizarding World
Map User Interface
Along with Fortresses on the Wizards Unite map, you’ll also have Inns and Greenhouses. Inns allow you to refill your spell energy. These look like a vertical inn with a chimney. There’s a 5-minute cool down per collection. Greenhouses allow you to brew potions and collect potion ingredients. Note that you can also find ingredients on the ground. At the beginning, you can only have a single potion brewing at a time. At level 10, you can buy another 4 spaces for brewing.
When you first start your game, you have a capacity of 75 Energy. This energy depletes with each spell you use, each Foundable you return, and each Fortress that you participate in. You can refill your Energy as mentioned above at each Inn you visit. You can opt in to buy more energy in Diagon Alley (the in-game store) for coins if you so choose.
Dark Detectors are the equivalent of Lures in Pokémon GO. If you put a Dark Detector on an Inn, you’ll reveal rarer traces for 30 minutes. This allows you to potentially fill up your Registry even faster. It’s important to fill up your registry so that you can collect scrolls and unlock Skill Points for your Professions’ Skill Trees.
Last but not least, Portkeys! You will find Portkeys on your map as you walk around. They require keys to open. Wizards Unite gives you one key that lasts infinitely. You have 8 spaces in your Portkey inventory. You can buy packs of silver keys from the in-game store. You can also unlock them as you level up as well. These Portkeys will take you to an iconic place in the Wizarding World once you finish walking them their respective distances, which are 2, 5, and 10km.
Pro Tips for new players
Credits go to OldWolf2 from Reddit.
- Ensure you have lots of Spell Energy (at least 30) before entering a Fortress. If you run out then you have to either abandon the Fortress (forfeiting your Runestone and rewards) or pay 100 Gold.
- If you get a 5 KM or 10 KM Portmanteau, use a Silver Key on it. Saving the gold key for the 2 KM ones will get the most value from it.
- Always use the Baruffio’s Brain Elixir for opening a Portmanteau – they give good XP and you’ll want to double that.
- Don’t let your Ingredients (in the Vault) get full as then you will forfeit rare ingredient rewards. You’ll need to regularly check this and delete unwanted ingredients to maintain free space.
- Use Potions very liberally. I’m using a Brain Elixir any time I intend to play for 10 minutes straight, and chain chugging in solo Fortress play, and using at least the basic Exstimulo potion for any Foundable I’m not maxed out on.
Watch our very excited editor do a quick walkthrough of the game.
As always, keep checking back to Wizards Unite Hub for the latest Wizards Unite news and updates!
If you haven’t already, feel free to join our Discord Server for further discussion!