December will be jam-packed with events in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite! Immediately after the end of the Legends of Hogwarts event begins the next Brilliant Event: Christmas Calamity.
Christmas Calamity: Week One will be December 3rd to December 10th.
Christmas Calamity: Week Two will be December 17th to December 24th.
This guide will focus on the first week of Christmas Calamity. Stay tuned for an article detailing the second week!
Guide to Week 1 of Christmas Calamity Brilliant Event!
Discover all the tasks and the rewards in the first week of the Christmas Calamity Brilliant Event. Plus find tips to get through all the tasks quickly.
Plus, once again, this Brilliant Event will have a Bonus Assignment during both weeks.
Brilliant Event Overview
|Event Name Christmas Calamity Brilliant Event (Week 1)|
|Date + Time
Brilliant Event Tasks
As usual, these tasks all come straight from Fazes, so they should be accurate, unless the HPWU developers make last-minute changes (again). Especially with the holiday weekend, this is quite possible.
Like the previous Brilliant Events, the quest line is split into four sections. You have to complete each section before progressing to the next one. Once you finish the regular quests, you can move onto the Bonus Assignment.
Brilliant Portkeys will go to the Three Broomsticks!
If you prefer watching a video, I’ve also covered all of this information on my YouTube channel in a livestream!
Christmas Calamity Quest 1/4
These tasks are quite different than what we’ve seen before. As of right now, I do not know if Yule Ball Invitations are guaranteed rewards for visiting Inns, or if you’ll need to visit more than 5 Inns to collect enough Invitations. To find new friends, check out the forum thread on our website.
|Collect 5 Yule Ball Invitations from Inns||2 Restricted Section Books|
|Return 3 Medium-Threat (or Higher) Foundables||10 Brilliant Family XP|
|Add 1 Friend||20 Brilliant Family|
1st Quest Rewards
- 500 Wizarding XP
- 20 Brilliant Family XP
- 1 Restricted Section book
- Yule Ball Robes for Portrait
- 3 Baneberry Ingredients
- 2 Powered Dragon Claw Ingredients
Christmas Calamity Quest 2/4
It’s so fun to see new tasks in this Brilliant Event!
Greenhouses will drop Gifts OR Yule Ball Invitations, so you might need to visit Greenhouses more than 5 times to collect enough Yule Ball Invitations.
|Brew 4 Potions||300 Wizarding XP|
|Send 5 Gifts||15 Brilliant Family XP|
|Collect 5 Yule Ball Invitations from Greenhouses||20 Brilliant Family XP|
2nd Quest Rewards
- 25 Brilliant Family XP
- 3 Restricted Section Books
- Ice Sculpture Frame for Portrait
- 1 Punch Bowl Brilliant Registry Sticker
- 2 Unicorn Hair Ingredients
- 6 Snowdrop Ingredients
Christmas Calamity Quest 3/4
The following Foundables guarded by Gnome Confoundables will appear more frequently on the Map!
- Acromantula Eggs
- Beater’s Bat
- Giant’s Helm
- Baby Niffler
- Sorting Hat
- Weasley Clock
- Luna Quidditch Fan
|Collect 7 Yule Ball Invitations from Gnome Confoundables||500 Wizarding XP|
|Win 5 Wizarding Challenges||500 Wizarding XP|
|Return 5 Brilliant Hagrid and Madame Maxime||15 Brilliant Family XP|
3rd Quest Rewards
- 25 Brilliant Family XP
- 3 Restricted Section Books
- Animated Snowflakes Portrait Sticker
- Hermione Hair Pins Portrait Sticker
- 2 Dark Detectors
Christmas Calamity Quest 4/4
The Portkey tasks are back. One option is to hold onto 3 of the special 1km Portkey Portmanteaus from the Legends of Hogwarts event, and then use your Gold Key to walk those once you get to these tasks. Another option is to walk 3 Portkey Portmanteaus in advance (not all the way, just almost there), and wait until you get to these tasks to unlock them.
|Collect 15 Yule Ball Invitations from Gnome Confoundables||750 Wizarding XP|
|Unlock 3 Portkeys||25 Brilliant Family XP|
|Return 5 Brilliant Hermione and Viktor||25 Brilliant Family XP|
4th Quest Rewards
- Silver House Statues Portrait Frame
- 50 Gold
- 5 Restricted Section Books
- Grumpy Ron Brilliant Registry Sticker
- Durmstrang Ship Animated Portrait Sticker
Christmas Calamity BONUS Assignment!
If you complete the Brilliant Event quests early, then you unlock the Bonus Assignment.
To find High-Threat Foundables, stack 3 Dark Detectors on a single Inn, preferably a sponsored Inn. Also use a Tonic for Trace Detection Potion. You can also look for Oddities at Dusk or Dawn. Vampires, Werewolves, and Erklings are all High-Threat Foundables.
Brilliant Foundables will also count as High Foundables for this task.
|Collect 30 Yule Ball Invitations from Brilliant Traces||2 Dark Detectors|
|Return 15 High-Threat (or Higher) Foundables||1 Ministry ID Title: Gift Giver|
|Send 10 Gifts||Yule Ball Fancy Hat for Portrait|
- 2000 Wizard XP
- 100 Brilliant Family XP
Brilliant Foundables and Where to Find Them
Just like previous Brilliant Events, you will only be able to encounter some of these Brilliant Foundables in the wild. The others can be found through Fortress Challenges, special 3k Portkeys, and event tasks.
|Brilliant||Where to find it||Fragments to collect|
|Brilliant Hermione and Viktor||Wild Encounter||10|
|Brilliant Hagrid and Madam Maxime||Wild Encounter||10|
|Brilliant Grumpy Ron||Event Tasks||1|
|Brilliant Punch Bowl||Event Tasks||1|
|Yule Ball Programme||Brilliant Portkey Portmanteaus||5|
|Brilliant Ice Sculpture of Castle||Wizarding Challenges (need a Brilliant Runestone)||3|
Tips to Complete the Brilliant Event
If this is your first Brilliant Event, or if you’re thrown off by the different tasks, these tips will help you complete the Brilliant Event with time to spare. And then you can complete the Bonus Assignment as well!
- As a reminder, Part 1 Portkeys will give you Part 1 Rewards anytime you open them, even if you wait to open them during Part 2. Brilliant Portkeys will glow purple on the Map. Do not pick up more than you need!
- If you don’t want to add a new friend, you can remove an existing friend, and then re-add that person to complete the task.
- To brew Potions quickly, you can brew them in advance. Wait until you’re on the second quest to collect the Potions to get credit.
- If you’ve having trouble finding Brilliant Traces, avoid flagged areas. They are less likely to spawn in those areas.
- To collect Brilliant Castle Ice Sculpture Fragments, you need to do Wizarding Challenges (Fortress battles) with a Brilliant Runestone. Try Tower I and Tower II Chambers to collect these Fragments.
- If you need to complete the event quickly, or you only have a short time to work on it, visit a sponsored Simon Mall if at all possible. Inns, Fortresses, and spawns are all plentiful.
- Save your Scrolls and your Restricted Section Books until the end of the event. Then use our guide to spend them wisely! Aurors and Magizoologists are getting close to earning all of the Restricted Section Books needed to fill out their skill tree.
- When working on the Bonus Assignment, stack Dark Detectors and use a Tonic for Trace Detection Potion. This is a great opportunity to work with your local community to share the benefits of Dark Detectors.
Christmas Calamity Bundles
All Wizards Unite players will receive a free gift with two Potent Exstimulo Potions and 25 Spell Energy. You also have the option of purchasing gift packs in Diagon Alley.
Are you excited for the upcoming Brilliant Event? What do you think of the Bonus Assignment? Leave a comment below!
P.S. Need a new external battery pack to get you through another week of playing Wizards Unite? I’ve written a guide of top-rated power banks over on my own blog!