Hey, witches and wizards, this is a challenging time for the entire world right now. Multiple areas of the world, including entire countries, are on lockdown to prevent further spread of COVID-19. I want to acknowledge this before getting into this Brilliant Event guide. I see you. I see your struggles. I encourage you to follow all local laws during this difficult time, even if it means not completing the latest event in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
The HPWU team has decided to continue with the second week of Circus Calamitous as scheduled, just with a few changes. This Brilliant Event will be March 24-31, 2020.
Guide to Week 2 of the Circus Calamitous Brilliant Event!
Discover all the tasks and the rewards in the second week of the Circus Calamitous Brilliant Event!
Once again, this Brilliant Event will have a Bonus Assignment during the event if you manage to finish the regular tasks early.
Read through everything carefully. A few typical Brilliant Event features have changed to encourage playing Wizards Unite at home.
You can also watch my video if you prefer!
Brilliant Event Overview
|Event Name Circus Calamitous Brilliant Event (Week 2)|
|Date + Time
Brilliant Event Tasks
As per usual, these tasks all come straight from the development team. They should be accurate unless the HPWU developers make last-minute changes (again). If you remember from the first week of Circus Calamitous, they made last-minute changes due to player feedback. I disagree with one of the set of tasks, so if you also find it problematic, please let your complaints be known!
If anything changes, I will update this article as soon as possible!
This Brilliant Event is 4 steps long like all the others. You have to complete each section before progressing to the next one. Once you finish the regular quest steps, you can move onto the Bonus Assignment. Keep in mind that the Bonus Bundle will not unlock in the Diagon Alley store until you reach the Bonus Assignment step of the Brilliant Event.
Brilliant Portkeys from this week of the Circus Calamitous Brilliant Event will continue to feature the new Portkey Portmanteaus location: the Circus Arcanus itself! AND they will only be 1.5km Portkeys instead of the typical 3km Portkeys. Pace around your house with your phone in your pocket, or take careful walks outside while remaining at least 6 feet (about 2 meters) away from other people.
The other change is the lack of exclusive Fortress Foundables. Normally there is a Foundable that is only available by doing Wizarding Challenges with a specific Brilliant Runestone. However, to encourage social distancing, you can get this particular Foundable through Wizarding Challenges OR as a reward for completing bonus tasks.
Circus Calamitous Quest 1/4
Very easy tasks to complete while playing from home!
|Collect Spell Energy from the Map 1 Time||25 Brilliant Family XP|
|Return 3 Brilliant Kappa Foundables||25 Brilliant Family XP|
|Use 1 Master Notes||300 Wizarding XP|
1st Quest Rewards
- 2 Restricted Section Books
- Oni Poster Portrait Sticker
- Firedrakes Portrait Sticker
- 6 Snowdrop Potion Ingredients
- 4 Bitterroot Potion Ingredients
Circus Calamitous Quest 2/4
Brew your Exstimulo Potions in advance! That way you can quickly collect them when you reach this step. You will need to use a rental cauldron to do this, though. ALSO if you think it’s a bad idea to ask players to dine at Inns 3 times, please express your frustration (politely–don’t shoot the messengers who relate your comments back to the HPWU developers) on social media.
|Use 1 Tonic for Trace Detection||250 Wizarding XP|
|Brew 3 of Any Exstimulo Potions||1 Powdered Dragon Claw|
|Dine at Inns 3 times||250 Wizarding XP|
2nd Quest Rewards
- Brilliant Registry Firedrakes Image
- 250 Challenge XP
- 45 Brilliant Family XP
- 3 Restricted Section Books
- Paris Moving Statue Portrait Animated Sticker
- 2 Leaping Toadstool
Circus Calamitous Quest 3/4
This task hearkens back to a similar task we had in a previous event that required we hunt down “Arresto Momentum” Foundables. This time, it looks like we will be charged with the task of unlocking poor, detained beasts and creatures from around the Wizarding World by using “Alohomora,” found in The Standard Book of Spells, Chapter 7. These spawns will be boosted, and are included in an image below thanks to our friend Orange Wizard.
|Use 4 of Any Exstimulo Potions||250 Wizarding XP|
|Return 5 Brilliant Nagini Foundables||250 Wizarding XP|
|Earn 750 Wizarding XP||1 Unicorn Hair|
3rd Quest Rewards
- 50 Brilliant Family XP
- 250 Wizarding XP
- 5 Restricted Section Books
- French Ministry of Magic Atrium Ceiling Portrait Frame
- French Ministry Moving Shelf Animated Portrait Frame
- 1 Silver Key
Circus Calamitous Quest 4/4
These tasks are again easy to do at home, especially with the current boost for Tonic for Trace Detection. If you’re still struggling to find High Threat Traces, play early in the evening when Oddities are more likely to appear. Erklings and Vampires are High Threat Traces!
|Use 2 Tonic for Trace Detection||2 Spell Books|
|Return 5 High Threat Traces||55 Brilliant Family XP|
|Collect Spell Energy from the Map 3 Times||500 Wizarding XP|
4th Quest Rewards
- Brilliant Registry Clown Image
- 500 Wizarding XP
- 5 Restricted Section Books
- 50 Gold
- Old-Fashioned Ministry ID Logo Portrait Frame
Circus Calamitous Week 2 BONUS Assignment!
If you complete the regular Brilliant Event quests before the Brilliant Event ends, you also have the chance to complete the Bonus Assignment.
The Brilliant Candy Floss Stand is a reward for 3 distinct tasks. You need 3 of these Foundable Fragments to place the image in your Registry. You can also find these by doing Wizarding Challenges with a Brilliant Runestone.
|Earn 2000 Wizarding XP||1 Brilliant Candy Floss Stand|
|Use 4 Tonic Trace Detections||1 Brilliant Candy Floss Stand|
|Return 15 High Threat Traces||1 Baruffio’s Brain Elixir|
|Return 30 Brilliant Foundables||Newt Scamander (Ministry of Magic) Encounter|
|Cast Alohomora 30 Times||1 Brilliant Candy Floss Stand|
- 2000 Wizarding XP
- 100 Brilliant Family XP
- 3 Spell Books
- Achievement Badge
Brilliant Foundables and Where to Find Them
Just like previous Brilliant Events, you will only be able to encounter some of these Brilliant Foundables in the wild. The others can be found through event tasks or Brilliant 1.5km Portkeys.
The Brilliant Candy Floss Stand is a bit different than normal. You do have the chance to find it by doing Wizarding Challenges with a Brilliant Runestone, but it will also be available as a reward for completing tasks in the Bonus Assignment.
|Brilliant||Where to find it||Fragments to collect|
|Brilliant Nagini||Wild Encounter||15|
|Brilliant Kappa||Wild Encounter||15|
|Brilliant Firedrakes||Event Tasks||1|
|Brilliant Clown||Event Tasks||1|
|Brilliant Oni Poster||Brilliant Portkey Portmanteaus||5|
|Brilliant Candy Floss Stand||Bonus Event Tasks||3|
Tips to Complete the Brilliant Event
If this is your first Brilliant Event, or if you’re thrown off by changes made for the pandemic, these tips will help you complete the Brilliant Event before the time runs out. With careful planning, you can complete the Bonus Assignment as well!
- As a reminder, Part 1 Portkeys will give you Part 1 Rewards anytime you open them, even if you wait to open them during Part 2. Brilliant Portkeys will glow purple on the Map. Be sure to collect 5 Portkeys during the Brilliant Event, even if you don’t open them all during the event.
- To brew Potions quickly, you can brew them in advance. Wait until you’re on the second quest to collect the Potions to get credit.
- If you’ve having trouble finding Brilliant Traces, avoid flagged areas. They are less likely to spawn in those areas.
- When visiting Inns, please continue to practice social distancing. Either stop by an Inn in your car, and sit there to collect it 3 times, or visit Inns in large open spaces, like public parks. Check out my previous article on staying safe while playing Wizards Unite.
- Once again, Newt Scamander is a guaranteed Encounter as a reward for a Bonus task. While player reports from the first week of Circus Calamitous indicate a high success rate, returning Newt Scamander is still not guaranteed. Use a Dawdle Draught and a Potent Exstimulo Potion for the best chance at overcoming the Confoundable magic.
- Save your Scrolls and your Restricted Section Books until the end of the event. Then use our guide to spend them wisely! That said, most Aurors and Magizoologists have already earned all the necessary Restricted Section Books, and some Professors have also done so. At this point, you can either hold on to your resources in case they’re needed for the next lesson plan, or you can start working on a second profession.
Brilliant Event Bundles
There are 4 bundles total that will be available during this event. Be sure to snag the Free Bundle as soon as the event starts! The Bonus Bundle will not be available until the Bonus Assignment is unlocked, so keep that in mind. Orange Wizard provided the infographic below explaining all of the bundles.
I will soon break down the cost/value of each bundle, so come back in a few hours to learn that. Or if your kids are stuck at home and need a new math problem, have them figure it out!
What do you think about the Circus Calamitous Brilliant Event? Do you have any strong thoughts about the necessity of visiting Inns? (I do). Share your thoughts in the comments or on any of the Wizards Unite Hub social platforms.